At times dwelling is where by the jewellery is. Sisters Jennifer Gandia and Christina Gandia Gambale have located another downtown place for their family’s jewellery keep, Greenwich St. Jewelers, to call household. The company, established by their parents Carl and Milly in 1976 on its namesake street, has relocated to a 1,550 sq. foot spot on Reade Street right after investing the previous 20 a long time on Trinity Area.

Found in the next cast-iron developing created in New York regarded as Obsidian Household and dating to 1857, the airy area attracts on original aspects to generate a refreshing, contemporary surroundings. Doing work with Maori Hughes of MAOarch, the unique exposed brick partitions and an archway are fused with modern walls and lights, ensuing in a backlit architectural detail lining the place. The arch style also creates a few distinctive sections of the shop. At the rear of one particular recently produced arch are a try-on desk and a doorway top to a personal Bridal salon appointment place. In accordance to Gandia, despite a balanced digital presence, most engagement rings are marketed in human being.

“We required to mix the outdated and the new to make it feel like entering an apartment,” stated Jennifer, the eldest Gandia, noting the reclaimed wood flooring and a fashionable art light-weight sculpture sourced from a regional artist. The walls also attribute local artwork talents Rosalie Knox and Mason Nye found out in the location, which now has a lot of gallery spaces.

The determination to transfer from Trinity Position was spurred by a lease renewal and fluctuations in the location considering that 9/11. “My parents, who witnessed the assaults that working day, experienced to transfer as there was hurt to the constructing. Trinity Put was a excellent chance as it was 3 instances the measurement,” remembers Gandia.

At that time, Jennifer had taken a sabbatical from her place doing press for NARS
AR
S cosmetics to enable her parents get begun once again (the enterprise was shut for 10 months soon after 9/11). “It was at the time when unbiased jewelers had been coming onto the scene, and jewelry became cool and a vogue assertion,” she recalls incorporating how receptive her dad and mom had been to the new strategies she introduced to their business enterprise. “They have been open up to having on new brand names when persons have been seeking just to endure,” she mentioned.

Once the 9/11-induced downtown ghost town ended just about five many years afterwards, issues rebounded until finally Hurricane Sandy and Covid. “The pandemic eroded the area’s momentum, which struggled with foot targeted traffic owing to deficiency of close by retail moreover the Oculus. Points are closing there as well,” she observed.

The enterprise has a solid downtown DNA the offspring required to protect, so Tribe
TRIBE2
ca was a normal preference. “We have a company business, and this was a community exactly where we could supply that provider. We have two grasp jewelers on employees, and we do custom do the job, antique restoration, restyling, and mend. That was the get started of my parent’s business enterprise,” reported Gandia. Coincidentally throughout their look for, they discovered the location involving Reade and Chambers was once household to a little silversmith and metalsmithing district in the late 19th century and early 20th century.

Upon getting into, clientele discover a tightly curated selection of pieces by brands these kinds of as Melissa Pleasure Manning, Eva Fehren, Alice Ciccolini, Marla Aaron, Solitary Stone, Sylva & Cie, Tenthousandthings, Lorraine Wesr and Wwake. A display of daring, vibrant stone rings by Jamie Joseph sits at the entry of the retail store, tempting try out-ons like a candy bowl of jewellery.

The sisters have also launched a number of in-residence traces these as Chroma showcasing rainbow-colored stone mixtures, Astra, the diamond and enamel pendants resembling pocket watches, and some on-development beaded necklaces and bracelets.

Bridal was and continues to be a big company for the retail outlet, with about 70 per cent of the bridal styles coming from the in-property manufacturer. For manner fine jewellery, 25 per cent is the in-household manufacturer, and the other 75 percent is unbiased models usually that are feminine or BIPOC-owned.

Most parts at Greenwich St. Jewelers are created from recycled gold, no matter if by layout or circumstance, fundamentally starting to be the market standard in the wake of sustainability fears. “Most main casting residences use it now it really is like the conclusion was manufactured for you since they use it,” she claimed.